Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dreaming of Kitty-Kats



As a little girl, I dreamed of cats and kittens. I asked for a kitten every year for Christmas, and my birthdays. Even though as a kid I was allergic to everything but a lizard and horse (couldn’t have a horse because of the hay) I was determined that I could push my parents over to get me my dream. Every year I got something with a cat or kitten, just not the real thing. One year I got wallpaper with cats all over it. The next I got a cat that had Velcro on its stomach and “birthed” kittens (you didn’t know how many she would have) and I got 3 kittens. I also was a fan of the stuffed animal cats where the head was much bigger then its body but had a purr rattle that every time you moved its head it “purred”. I remember getting one before a swim meet and by the end it smelled like chlorine.

I was in Michigan where our summerhouse is. There was a stuffed cat that had so much pretty white fur on it and pretty blue eyes. I wanted it so badly. My dad had said if I got my hair cut short I could own that dream cat which was 20 dollars and a fortune in my kiddo days. So I agreed. I shouldn’t of. My hair looked like a boys and trust me I was asked numerous times if I was a boy, and how “handsome” I was by passerby’s. I don’t remember ever asking my parents for a cat again. 

Then during sophomore year of college my first lover had begged for me to come see him. I had always declined. BUT this one call he said he had 4 kittens and wondered if I wanted them. I said yes. My dream cat could finally turn into 4 dreams. I took a detour for spring break and headed to San Antonio. He was so happy to see me, I was so happy to see 4 precious, less then a week old angels that were all mine. I brought them home in a box, told my parents I found them in a sonic bathroom and raised them to be amazing cats. When they were 8 weeks old and ready to be, in my case, hurled out of the nest from a mom that just wasn’t ready, I posted them on craigslist. 3 girls that lived down my street were thrilled. They came to my house and held them like they were holding stuffed animals, not gently. The little runt, whose name was Cookie, meowed the entire time. It was heartbreaking. The one little girl said “mom please can I have one, I will give my other pet away, please please”. As you would know I didn’t end up giving them to those little girls.

I was heartbroken. My dreams were going to leave me. Cookie held tightly to me and looked up with those amazing big eyes that popped out of his head and I knew I couldn’t give him up. I now have a 3 year old dream that is still living. I must say that I didn’t know the crying out at 3 in the morning, the weird dances he did when an invisible something popped out that made him look like a Halloween cat, or the disgusting poops that filled the entire house and made you gag. It just proves to show that if you want something real badly, it may take time, but you can achieve a dream even if it takes a little time, a horrible hair-cut and a few let-go’s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My toddler willingly holds my hand. He reaches out and pats my shoulder as we lay in bed next to each other.  Its as if he is waiting for m...