Monday, August 15, 2011

Happy Birthday!

I complain a lot. Maybe not a lot, well, excessively. To the point where my dad asks "will there ever be a day that you dont complain?" I know. I got a wake up call tonight. I get calls like this on a consistent basis. Whether they truly sink in I am not sure.

Today is a kid's birthday on my unit that I work at at Helping Hand Home. For those that dont know I work with abused and neglected kids. I can't say much to protect the information I know but I look at other kids and think of others that will celebrate their birthday's alone, no family, no party, no celebration.

I made the child a birthday card, with the quote "Your birthday is a special time to celebrate the gift of 'you' to the world". To think about kids that weren't celebrated when they arrived on this earth is hard. Granted I am not the most splendid kid to be born but my parents rejoiced the day I arrived on earth. I was a gift and I was showered with it daily. To think kids that are in the 'system' wont get that ever and wont hear "baby, I am so glad you were born" is hard to imagine. Most parents' rights are terminated which means they wont be around and probably wont give two thoughts about them again. The child is left hurt, broken and abandoned.

So here is to those kids that wont get celebrated on their special day. Happy Birthday to you. You are a gift to God and I am so lucky you were born, because you will do something wonderful. You will change kids' lives that have been effected just like you. You will touch people's hearts the way you have touched mine and you will be celebrated everyday. You better believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My toddler willingly holds my hand. He reaches out and pats my shoulder as we lay in bed next to each other.  Its as if he is waiting for m...