Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Poop Pimples...

So dog people out there. Do you ever wake up to your dog repeatedly licking himself? First of all it can wake me up from the deepest slumber. So anyway, usually its my bigger dog that licks herself and I have to tell her to stop. But there was a lick this morning that sounded like it was on a treadmill, training for a marathon.

I moaned 'STOP' multiple times, but the lick continued. I woke up, because this sound can make you want to gag. Well it was Lilly licking her butt, and she wouldn't stop. I had noticed her licking her butt a lot yesterday and for a great amount of time, but figured it must've tasted good so that is why she didn't stop. So I let it slide, but she kept doing it all this morning. Me, being the freak out type of mom, googled it. It came up with this across the board on this is what it was.

EXPRESSED ANAL GLANDS

First of all, I need blonde terms. I am not sure what 'expressed' means. So then I had to google that. I didn't know that when dogs poop they have glands that secrete a scent so other dogs know that there is their dog shit. Why would you want to sniff others poop? Goodness dogs are so weird. So anyway, these glands get plugged and need to be expressed, or popped. Well I could to go to the vet to get this done, but I googled AGAIN, because people said you can do it yourself. Everyone said to plug your nose because it smelled awful. There was a link to youtube saying a DIY way to express your dog. I almost threw up. Its basically popping a pimple but having poop-gross stuff come out of it. GROSS

I texted my veterinary  friend asking if he thought if it was serious enough matter to take her to vet. If she starts doing the butt dragging, then its time, but I shouldn't be too worried, and that if I wanted to I could do it myself and express her. Lilly is very independent and I feel she expresses herself just fine WITHOUT me needing to help her.

So what a blog eh? You probably never thought you would get to read about anal glands. You lucky duck :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

My toddler willingly holds my hand. He reaches out and pats my shoulder as we lay in bed next to each other.  Its as if he is waiting for m...