Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Your hair smells of sweet lavender that was just picked from the field with a dash of vanilla bean that wraps around the stem. Your hair stands on edge like the way cotton candy clings to the cone. It's light and airy like the white clouds before a storm, puffy like cotton balls. 

Breathe in. Breathe out. 
Your lungs rise and fall like the fan you air a fire. Steady as it fuels the flame. The way it fuels your deep belly laugh and the dreams you dream about. Your eyelids flutter like hummingbird wings, the way they gracefully land but never stay long. As they hover so does your hand, making sure it embraces mine. Your tiny fingertips dance along my skin, doing twirls like figure skaters that waltz along the ice. 

Breathe in. Breathe out. 
A yawn, a deep yawn that brings a little sigh at the end. The sweetest of all sounds. The sound that fills the soul with happiness. The kind of happiness after a long day where you take your shoes off and feel the cool air whisk away the heat, the warm bleached smell of laundry that wraps around your clean body before going to bed and the way the sun heats your body when you come from within a cold building. The yawn captures the depths of my heart. It burrows deep like the mouse that digs in the cold earth creating space that I never knew existed.

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Be still my heat. 

Breathe in. Breathe out.
And then our breaths match. Like a pendulum that is continuous and steady. His nose which is nuzzled to my neck breathes puffs of milk scented air that is warm like the breaths that warm your hands on a n icy night. His dimpled fingers graze my cheek to make sure I am as close as can be, and when he is assured that I won't move an inch, we fade off into never land.

Breathe in. Breathe out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My toddler willingly holds my hand. He reaches out and pats my shoulder as we lay in bed next to each other.  Its as if he is waiting for m...